I’m looking forward to going to many more Stockton Ports and Modesto Nuts games this year, along with hopefully a few River Cats and San Jose Giants games.
In the past few years that I have been going to games, the Ports have done a great job with their promotional schedule! I know promotions and giveaways are not exactly fun for a ballhawk, but at the Minor League level, I have found that they still can be!
A little while back, the Ports released their promotional schedule, however they did it in a special way. They released the 2014 Promotional Calendar in 6 waves, over the course of two weeks, much like they did last year.
According to their website, the Ports were “recently listed in the Veritix Sports Marketing “Best of 2013″ Newsletter for the unique release of last season’s promotional calendar.”
Each wave of the promotional calendar was a different type of promotion. They included Fireworks dates, Celebrity Appearances, Giveaway Items, Theme Nights, Player Interaction Days and Day of Week. Here was the schedule they used for the promotional calendar release dates, each time at 10am. The schedule ran from January 27th to February 7th.
- Monday, January 27th- Fireworks Dates
- Wednesday, January 29th- Celebrity Appearances
- Friday, January 31st- Giveaway Items
- Monday, February 3rd- Theme Nights
- Wednesday, February 5th- Player Interaction Days
- Friday, February 7th – Day of Week Promotions
In this blog entry, I will walk through the Ports promotional schedule with you, release day by release day.
Here is a list of Ports fireworks shows for the 2014 season:
- Thursday, April 10 (Opening Night)
- Saturday, April 1
- Saturday, April 26
- Saturday, May 3
- Saturday, May 17
- Saturday, May 31
- Saturday, June 7
- Saturday, June 21
- Thursday, July 3
- Saturday, July 12
- Friday, July 25
- Friday, August 8
- Friday, August 15
- Saturday, August 16
Personally, I am not a huge fan of firework shows, but the Ports always do a great job with theirs!
- The first celebrity appearance will be Dennis Haskins, on Friday, April 25th. He played Bayside High School’s Principal, Mr. Belding, in the sitcom Saved by the Bell. This is also 90’s Night.
- The second celebrity appearance will be on Friday, June 20th, with Kevin Mitchell. He was the 1989 National League MVP who is known best for his playing career with the San Francisco Giants , however his final professional season was with Oakland in 1998. He’ll be there to sign autographs for fans and for for a pre-game ceremony.
- The third and final celebrity appearance will be on Saturday, June 21st. James Garner will be in Stockton with his Tribute to Johnny cash. This is his second Banner Island Ballpark, as he performed in 2012 as well.
Which celebrity appearance do you think is the coolest? Which should Ports fans be looking forward to the most?
This year, the Ports will have 21 different giveaway days, usually the first 1000 fans. They range from hats, to bobbleheads, to pennants, and even sunglasses.
Like they did in 2013, the Ports will have hat giveaways for almost all Thursday home games, for the first 500 fans. This year, they have 5 different hat giveaway dates: April 24th, May 29th, June 19th, July 10th, and August 28th.
Outside of hats, the ports have 16 other giveaway dates. Here is a list of the giveaways, sorted by date, including the sponsor and a number for the giveaway if it is different than 1000 items.
|Thursday, April 10th||Magnetic Schedule (2,500 fans)||
Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort
|Friday, April 11th||Running Gus Logo Baseball||
Jackson Rancheria Casino Resort
|Sunday, April 27th||Ports Sunglasses (500 fans)|
|Friday, May 2nd||
Oakland A’s 2013 AL West Division Champions Pennant
|Friday, May 16th||Fleece Blanket||ScholarShare|
|Saturday, May 17th||
45th Anniversary of the California League Champions 1969 Team Photo
|Friday, May 30th||Josh Donaldson Bobblehead|
|Sunday, June 1st||Prostate Cancer Awareness Wristband||Sutter Health Medical Center|
|Friday, June 6th||Addison Russell Mesh Jersey||EZ Networks|
|Friday, July 11th||Splash Cereal Bowl||Delk Pest Control|
|Saturday, July 26th||Sean Doolittle Bobblehead||BloodSource|
|Sunday, July 27th||Team Card Set (500 fans)|
|Saturday, August 9th||Welcome Mat||Realty World|
|Sunday, August 10th||2014 Team Photo (500 fans)|
|Sunday, August 17th||A.J. Griffin T-Shirt Jersey|
|Wednesday, August 27th||Season Recap Poster|
So. Which giveaway is your favorite? Which one would you want the most? Which one do you like the most?
Here is a complete list of the theme nights and the date for each theme night.
|Saturday, April 12th||Jackie Robinson Night (Includes Jersey Auction)|
|Friday, April 25th||90’s Night|
|Saturday/Sunday, April 26th/27th||Anchor Fund Weekend|
|Friday, May 2nd||West Coast Conference Night|
|Sunday, May 4th||Star Wars: May the Fourth Be With You|
|Thursday, May 15th||Education Day|
|Saturday, May 17th||Alumni Night|
|Sunday, May 18th||Bark in the Ballpark|
|Monday, May 19th||Education Day|
|Sunday, June 1st||Sutter Health Medical Center Prostate Cancer Awareness Day (Includes Jersey Auction)|
|Sunday, June 8th||Root Beer Float Day|
|Thursday, July 3rd||Independence Day Celebration (Includes Hat Auction)|
|Saturday, July 12th||Princess Night|
|Friday, July 25th||Scout Night|
|Sunday, July 27th||Kids Run the Park|
|Friday, August 8th||Pink Night (Includes Jersey Auction)|
|Sunday, August 10th||Splash’s Birthday|
|Saturday, August 16th||Faith Night|
|Sunday, August 17th||Fan Appreciation Day|
Last year, I attended Splash’s Birthday and Pink Night.
Which is your favorite Ports theme night for 2014? Chose your 3 favorites.
Here is how that list looks:
- Sunday, April 13th: Fan Photo Day I attended this day last year. Fans get to take photos on the field with Stockton Ports players prior to the game, which is really fun.
- Saturday-Sunday April 26th-27th: Anchor Fund Weekend This date will feature pre-game player autograph booths as well as a community raffle. All of the proceeds over the weekend benefit the Stockton Ports Anchor Fund, which is the Stockton Ports community fund.
- Wednesday, May 28th: SCAN Silver Slugger Meet and Greet (Members Only) The SCAN Silver Sluggers Club is the Ports club for fans aged 55 and older. On this day, members get to participate in a special Meet and Greet with Ports players before the game.
- Sunday, July 13th: Subway Kids’ Club Meet and Greet (Members Only) The Subway Kids Club is the Ports kids club, like the name implies! All members have the opportunity to meet players and get autographs before the game.
- Wednesday, August 27th: Fan Appreciation Day This is pretty self-explanatory. At this game, the Ports will be hosting autograph sessions and giveaway raffles to thank their fans for the dedication all season long.
Which player interaction day do you like the most?
Here is a complete list of their 2014 Day of the Week Promotions:
|Day of the Week||Promotion|
|Monday||2 Buck Mondays – $2.00 tickets, hot dogs, and sodas|
|Tuesday||ScholarShare Tuesday Family Pack|
|4 tacos, 4 tickets, and 4 sodas for $40.00|
|Wednesday||SCAN Silver Sluggers and|
|Baseball Bingo sponsored by Food 4 Less|
|Thursday||Thirsty Thursdays – $2.00 beers or sodas until 8:00pm|
|*Excludes Opening Night and July 3rd Game|
|Sunday||Subway Kids’ Club and MetroPCS Sundays|
Metro PCS Sundays are where fans can visit various MetroPCS locations to pick up a Home Run Hill $1 ticket voucher.
Which DOW promotion do you like the most?
Well, there you have it! The Stockton Ports 2014 Promotional Schedule! Let me know what you think in the comments below. Do you like the way they released it? What is your favorite promotion? Remember to vote in all of the polls. And most importantly… Thanks for reading!
Nick Badders is a blogger for MLB.com. He writes the blogs Beyond the Outfield Fence and 7000 Coliseum Way. You can follow him on Twitter @RFNick149 and like him on Facebook. This blog entry was not subject to the approval of Minor League Baseball or its clubs.